A J-1 exchange is a non-immigrant visa issued by the United States to research scholars, professors, and exchange visitors participating in the program that encourages cultural exchange. J1 exchange is also known as J student visa. It is a visa for foreign nationals that want to study and work-related exchange programs in the U.S.
The J1 student visa gives the holder the ability to travel in & out of the country. And on many events may get employed in the country, J1 exchanges endorse by an educational or non-profit institution.
As foreign national planning to study in the united states, you might have read about different types of student visas available. The most common ones are F-1 and J-1 visas. These two visa types are essential for study programs and have their conditions, requirements, & benefits. That is why it is necessary to understand each of the student visas before applying. Speak with abogado de inmigracion houston today!
J1 Exchange Eligible Categories
The j1 exchange has 15 categories of eligible roles or programs;
- College and University
- Camp Counselor
- Au Pair
- Government Visitor
- International visitor
- Summer work travel
If you petition for J1 exchanges under the college or university categories, you will have to study at the college/university in the United States. And remain in the country for the interval of your course. The extent of your stay in the U.S on a j1 student visa depends on the program you choose to study.
As a j1 visa holder, you will return to your country and remain there for at least two years after graduation and can only return to the United States after you have met this requirement.
How To Apply For J1 Exchanges
To apply for a j1 student visa, you will need a sponsoring company to petition on your behalf. The sponsoring company will walk you through the process to see if you are eligible. And if they are willing to sponsor you for the visa, you will now complete form DS-2019 (certificate of eligibility for exchange visitor[j1] status). When you are through with filling out the form and submitting it with the required fees(when applicable), the next move is to attend an interview with the U.S Embassy or Consulate in your country.
J1 Exchange Requirements
Ensure you reach the following requirements when filing for a j1 student visa; abogado de immigration en houston can help file for J1 exchange.
- Proficiency In the English Language- You must be proficient in the English language score of the university/college you hope to enroll
- Maintain Financing Source- payment of 50% of your program funding paid by an accredited sponsor, not family or friends
- Adhere To J1 Visa Rules- you and your sponsor must follow the rules and regulation that abides by your j1 visa status.
- Maintain Valid Insurance- Both you and your dependents must have medical insurance as recommended by the host university.
- Complete pre-arrival information and attend orientation– Your sponsor will have to provide your and all your dependents with information about your chosen program and conduct an orientation with information about the state where you will study as required.
- Meet residency requirements- You and your dependents that accompany you to the program must return to your home country and remain there for at least two years upon the completion of your program;
- Maintain full-time academic enrollment- while allowed to work full-time during the academic break period, you must ensure not to continue when the academic year is in session. You are required to enroll in full-time study.
- Have a valid passport- You and any dependents must have Passports valid at least six months of your program completion date.
- Abide by work restrictions- if you wish to study and work, ensure you are only working part-time on the campus where you are schooling at a maximum of 20 hours a week. You can only work full-time during the academic break period.
- Have an up-to-date address- Whenever you move from your current address to a new place, ensure you update your sponsor and the university of the new address within 10days.