Car accidents are unfortunate but happen quite frequently on Idaho roads. Such an accident or crash can leave you in a bad financial state, with impending medical bills, vehicle repair bills, and other losses. If the other driver was clearly negligent, you could file a compensation claim. However, winning a settlement depends on many factors, including your share in fault (if any) and how you handled the situation right after. Talking to an Idaho car accident attorney can help. Here are some steps that you need to follow.
- Get medical attention. If someone is injured in the crash, call 911 and share all the details. Even when your injuries don’t seem that severe, you need to get a checkup done by an injury doctor. Do not run away from the scene.
- Call the police. Idaho state laws make it mandatory for drivers to report an accident when injury or death is involved. If there is vehicle or property damage (estimated around $1,500 or more), you need to call the local police immediately.
- Note the important details. Take as many photos and videos of the accident scene as possible, and don’t forget to write down important details. Note the badge number and name of the investigating officer at the scene and try to get a copy of the police report.
- Exchange information. Don’t be tempted to blame the other party or admit fault after the crash. You need to exchange information with other drivers, such as insurance details, and it is best to do so without talking a lot. Communicate what is necessary and don’t give a statement to anyone.
- Inform the insurance company. There is limited time to file an injury lawsuit after an accident, but the statute doesn’t apply to insurance claims. You are required to inform your insurer as soon as possible after the accident.
- Call a lawyer. A skilled attorney can help evaluate the worth of your accident claim. They can evaluate all aspects of the case and check if you can claim compensation. If you had a minor share in fault, this could impact your ability to get a fair settlement. Your lawyer will ensure that you don’t end up getting a raw deal because of insurance tactics.
Check online now and find a good lawyer for your accident claim. Knowing the worth of your claim will come in handy for making the right decision. You can find reliable attorneys through an online search.