Cases of patients developing painful bed sores due to the negligence of their nursing home are a common occurrence today. Sores staying in contact with a rough surface, bed or wheelchair for long periods of time may turn fatal and cause serious harm to the victim’s health.
When a healthy elderly patient begins developing such pressure sores after receiving a nursing home’s service for a few months, the nursing home is held liable for lack of responsibility and proper caretaking.
Bedsores also called pressure sores or pressure ulcers, can be a huge risk to the sufferer’s life and make everyday movement a tough task for them. These sores might also require future medical treatment.
It is the caregiver’s responsibility to ensure that a patient vulnerable to developing bed sores is given proper medications, care, and any required treatment. If they fail to do so and your loved one goes on to suffer from pressure sores, you can rightfully ask the nursing home for compensation before filing a lawsuit if all else fails.
What Factors Determine Your Eligibility For Compensation?
You can take into consideration some conditions, which decide if the nursing home was actually responsible for the development of pressure ulcers. If any of these criteria were failed to be accomplished by the nursing home, you are eligible for a legal compensation:
- Was a proper medical assessment held to tell if your family member was on the risk of developing pressure ulcers?
- If so, were the conclusions of that assessment included the documentation into your family member’s nursing home care plan?
- Did the nursing home or hospital conduct regular skin checkups particularly to avoid pressure sores?
- As pressure ulcers are mainly caused by the lack of body movement, did your family member receive adequate help in bodily movements once in every while by the nursing home?
- Ask if the medical department of the nursing home was vigilant with medications and relief methods provided to your family member who was at risk of developing painful pressure sores. Also, ask if food with good nutritional value was made available to the patient for improvement in their condition.
- Lastly, were proper steps to curb a possibly fatal medical condition taken by the nursing home during the time your family member was under their care?
Even if one of the above-mentioned questions has “NO” as an answer, you can, by all means, ask for a bedsore compensation from the nursing home.
How To Calculate The Amount Of Bedsore Compensation?
Compensation amount can vary based on a number of factors. A recent case of fatal pressure ulcers development was compensated at £17,000. Confused about how to calculate that amount in your case? It depends on:
- The severity of injury caused by bed sores.
- Encountered loss of earnings on external care.
- The requirement for future rehabilitation or bedsore treatment.
- Pain caused by bed sore injuries.
- Whether or not your family member has fully recovered.
Compensation value can vary from £2,000 to over £35,000 depending on above-mentioned factors and hospital or nursing home in concern. Legal assistance might be required to precisely calculate the compensation payout as a professional might better assess.